Are you eligible?
Do you have a child aged 0 – 3 years 11 months and live in Cardiff?
If so please enter your postcode to see if you’re eligible for Cardiff Flying Start.
What we do at Flying Start
Find out what we do and the services we provide at Flying Start.
Enhanced Health Visiting Service
The Flying Start Health Service aims to support you with parenting and to provide you with any help and advice which you might need, from the ante natal period through to 3 years and 11 months.
Help and support can be provided on a range of issues which may affect you and your family. These include caring for your new baby, feeding, weaning, sleep routines, potty training and behaviour issues. We can also sign post you or refer you to other agencies within and outside Flying Start if required.
The Cardiff Flying Start Health team includes
- Health Visiting Service
- Community Nursery Nurse Service.
- Speech and Language Therapy Team
- Dietetic services
- Breastfeeding Support specialists
Find out more
Access to Parenting Programmes
At Cardiff Flying Start we value parents, carers and wider families as the first and most important educators of children. This is central to all of the services we provide.
We can work with you both individually or in group sessions to provide parenting support that:
- Enhances your positive parenting skills to manage behaviour more effectively and promote children’s social skills, self-esteem and self-discipline
- Improve parent-child relationships and parent-parent relationships
- Develop positive attitudes, aspiration and resilience
- Strengthen understanding of child development and support your ability to be responsive to the needs of your children to promote their social, emotional and cognitive development and well-being
- Increase your confidence in their parenting role
- Increase your confidence and skills in providing a positive home learning environment and supporting your child with their learning.
Find out more
Fully Funded, quality, part-time childcare for 2-3 year olds
The provision of high quality childcare for children from 2-3years old is the centre piece of the services to be provided under the Flying start initiative. Childcare is provided in a variety of settings across Cardiff and the Childcare Advisory Team work closely with all settings to support, develop and monitor quality practice.
Speech, language and communication
Supporting children’s language and communication development is a core aim of the Flying Start project.
The importance of targeting and identifying children who are having difficulties as early as possible is well evidenced. As is research into brain development which has shown that the first three years of a child’s life are crucial to the development of good language & communication skills.
In Flying Start areas children who might be having speech and/or language difficulties are identified as soon as possible in order that the team can provide the most appropriate support as early as possible.
Visit our partner websites for further information on the services for Cardiff Families.