Cardiff Flying Start is a service provided by Cardiff Council in conjunction with our partner organisations. This Privacy Notice is intended for customers of Cardiff Flying Start and is designed to give you information about how we process information.
All personal data is processed in line with the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018.
Flying Start aims to make a decisive difference to the life chances of children by mitigating the impact of poverty, which is linked to poor life outcomes in early childhood, including health outcomes. The Programme comprises of four entitlements which provide:
- Free quality, part-time childcare for 2-3 year olds;
- An intensive health visiting service;
- Access to parenting support; and
- Support for speech, language and communication development.
Through a multidisciplinary team approach, which identifies all of the needs of the child and their family and provides prudent and proportionate interventions, Flying Start aims to ensure that:
- Children are healthy and thriving;
- Families are capable and coping; and
- Flying Start children are reaching potential.
What personal data we collect about you and why?
We collect the following personal data:
- Identifying information such as your full name and your child’s full name
- Details such as your child’s date of birth or expected due date,
- Contact details, including home address, telephone numbers and email address
- Relevant reference numbers such as NHS number
Special Category data we collect consists of;
- Racial/ Ethnic Origin
- Religious beliefs
- Physical and or/ mental health information, such as information relating to cognitive and emotional development
- Demographic information, which can include information about family members and area lived in, where required by a relevant service
- Financial Information where relevant
- Any other information necessary for the provision of Flying Start services
This information is collected for the purpose of delivering relevant support to eligible families who have agreed to take part in the program.
Where you have provided us with personal data about other individuals, such as family members or dependants, please ensure that those individuals are aware of the information contained within this notice.
How we will use your personal data
Your personal data will be used to;
- Contact you regarding the provision of services which come under Flying Start. This includes childcare arrangements and support services such as parenting support and/or assistance with additional learning needs
- Carry out referrals to partner organisations who will provide the support service required
- Comply with our legal and regulatory obligations as a Local Authority
- For statistical research purposes, in order to improve the delivery of our future services (in this instance your data will be anonymised)
Organisations that we may share your personal data with
Your personal data will be shared with our partner organisations, who are part of the Flying Start Program. This information will be shared for the purpose of providing support services and includes;
- Cardiff and the Vale Health Board (the UHB)
- Welsh Government (no personal data is shared – only anonymised statistics)
- Contracted and Registered Childcare settings
- Women’s Aid
- Your child’s school
In each case we will only share data to the extent that we consider the information is reasonably required for these purposes.
How long we keep your personal data
We will only keep your personal data for as long as we need to in order to fulfil the purpose(s) for which it was collected and for so long afterwards as we consider may be required to deal with any questions or complaints that we may receive, unless we elect to retain your data for a longer period to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations.
More details can be found on the Council’s retention schedule
Our lawful basis for the use of your personal data
The legal basis for our use of your personal data will generally be one or more of the following:
- Consent, which you have provided in order to participate in the Flying Start Program
- Legal Obligation, which we must comply with as a Local Authority
- In order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person
Withdrawing your consent
Where our legal basis for our processing of your personal information is consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent at any time. You can do so by contacting us at email@example.com and we will deal with your request as soon as possible.
Cardiff Council would like to make sure you are fully aware of all of your data protection rights. Every user is entitled to the following:
The right to access – You have the right to request Cardiff Council for copies of your personal data.
The right to rectification – You have the right to request that Cardiff Council correct any information you believe is inaccurate. You also have the right to request Cardiff Council to complete the information you believe is incomplete.
The right to erasure – You have the right to request that Cardiff Council erase your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to restrict processing – You have the right to request that Cardiff Council restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to object to processing – You have the right to object to Cardiff Council’s processing of your personal data, under certain conditions.
The right to data portability – You have the right to request that Cardiff Council transfer the data that we have collected to another organization, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
You can obtain further information about these rights from the Information Commissioner’s Office or via their telephone helpline 0303 123 1113.
Other Privacy Notices
For further information on how Cardiff Council processes personal data, please refer to the full Privacy Notice.
Updating this notice
We may update this notice periodically. Where we do this we will inform you of the changes and the date on which the changes take effect.
Contacting Data Protection
If you require further information about the processing of your personal data, please contact the Data Protection Officer.
Data Protection Officer
Information Governance Team